On this page
What Will You Learn?
- Semiconductor device physics: Introduction, concepts of basic semiconductors, operation of diode and its terminal
characteristics, analysis of diodes, physical structure and operation of BJT, characteristics of BJT, small signal models
and second order effects. Case study.
- MOS transistor theory: Introduction, structure, operation of enhancement and depletion type MOS transistor, current-voltage characterization of MOS transistor, biasing of MOS transistor, small signal model of MOS transistor, second order effect- body effect, channel length modulation, subthreshold effect, hot electron effect, tunnelling, punch through. MOS transistor capacitances, model parameters, different level of MOS model equations, modelling of MOS transistors using SPICE and scaling of MOS transistors. Case study of modelling MOS devices and extracting model parameters.
- CMOS inverter design: Introduction, types MOS inverter, resistive load inverter, depletion load inverter, CMOS
inverter, design of CMOS inverter, DC (static) characteristic analysis — voltage transfer characteristic and noise margin. Transient (dynamic) analysis — propagation delay, rise time and fall time calculation. CMOS inverter static and dynamic power, CMOS inverter load capacitance and interconnection parasitic. Case study of CMOS inverter
design for noise margin, speed, power and timing
- Combinational and sequential CMOS logic circuits: Introduction, CMOS logic circuits, complex logic circuits, clocked CMOS logic, pass transistor logic, CMOS transmission gates, problems of charge sharing,
precharging techniques. Behaviour of bistable elements, timing metrics, SR latch and flip-flop circuits, mux based
latches, clocked latch and flip-flop circuit. Case study of combinational and sequential circuits for timing, area and
- Logical effort: Introduction, transistor sizing, delays in CMOS logic gates, fan-in and fan-out consideration, fast
complex gate techniques, computing of logical effort, path and branch effort, multistage delay and best stage effort. Case study of CMOS circuit design using logical effort.
- Memory design : Introduction, need for memories, classification of memories, Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) and Static Random Access Memory (SRAM), memory architectures, 6T SRAM memory cell architecture, peripheral memory circuitry — sense amplifier, 80Hrs Rs.12000.00 read/write circuitry, bit line precharge circuitry, row and column decoders and memory timing.
- Data path subsystem: Introduction, arithmetic logic circuits, classification of adders, design of mirror adder, ripple carry adder, Manchester carry chain adder, carry skip adder, comparison of adders, multipliers and shifters. Case
studies of data path subsystems.
- Low Power CMOS design: Introduction, power dissipation, static and dynamic power dissipation, techniques for
reduction of power dissipation, low power design through voltage scaling, estimation and optimization of switching
activity, reduction of switched capacitance. Case study of optimizing power in CMOS circuits.
- Tools used: Synopsys HSPICE, Cadence Virtuoso, Nanosim, Cadence Pspice, LTspice, Microwind, HSIM
Fast Track — 4 Hrs / Day
Regular Track — 2 Hrs / Day
MTPs are open to engineering graduates/diploma holders, engineering students and working professionals with an appropriate background.
Admission open around the year
Fees & Scholarships
- Manager - Training
- Murali R
- +91 80 4906 5555